Reference and Outreach
Hours of Operation:
M - F 9 AM to 5 PM
Saturday 10 AM to 2 PM
and by appointment from M-F 7:30 AM to 7 PM
Upstate Medical University Library
766 Irving Ave.
Syracuse, NY 13210
Reference & Outreach
Reference & Outreach librarians support the academic, research, and clinical activities of Upstate Medical University.
Library Workshops and Training
Work with a librarian to bring a class or workshop related to library research or resources to your group. Sessions are hosted in the Health Sciences Library, or we will train at your location. Workshops and training events are ideal for departments, resident groups, and clinicians looking for specific training opportunities (e.g., Evidence Based Searching, PICO formulation, Citation Management Tools, DynaMed, and Nursing Reference Center).
- Upstate’s Medical Spanish Discussion Group: The discussion group will use a case study approach that allows participants to role play the parts of clinicians, patients and family members. Members of our local international medical graduate community have volunteered their medical Spanish expertise. The Upstate community is welcome. If you plan to participate, want to learn more and/or want to join our mailing list, please contact Liliana Barros Una at BarrosUL@upstate.edu.
Course Related Instruction
Librarian-faculty partnership to bring library sponsored instruction to courses through in-person sessions and online tutorials in blackboard. Course related instruction is ideal for welcoming new and returning students to the Health Sciences Library and its offerings. Instructional topics range from an overview of available resources, evaluating resources, creating a search strategy, searching effectively, locating full text at the HSL, and citation management.
Examples of current offerings for library instruction:
- Introduction to the Health Sciences Library: Navigating the HSL website, finding full text journal articles, using Interlibrary Loan.
- Evidence Based Searching: Creating a PICO question and searching the literature. Customizable to include a variety of databases including – Cochrane, PubMed with Clinical Queries, Nursing Reference Center.
- Database Searching: Searching tips and techniques including creating custom accounts for saving searches and setting alerts for PubMed, Scopus, CINAHL, OVID, and Cochrane Library.
- Citation Management: Learn how to build a RefWorks database and use its write-n-cite feature. Endnote and Mendeley training coming in 2015.
Research assistance & literature searches
Librarians are expert searchers of the biomedical literature and will assist in searching the literature for extensive research projects, grant proposals, or updating policies. Students needing assistance are encouraged to visit with a librarian in person during regular reference hours, or by appointment.
Tailored Subject Guides
Customized and subject/department specific guides to library resources. Select the resource resources that are important to your group and librarians will create a one-stop location for accessing databases, ebooks, ejournals, news feeds, internet links, and tutorials.
Walk with us on a tour of the Health Sciences Library, meet our team; see the collections including the vault and historical collections.
A dedicated librarian for your team, connecting you to customized library services. Your liaison can support your department/team by:
- Arranging instructional sessions & workshops
- Embedding instruction into curriculum
- Creating subject guides
- Keeping you informed of new resources and research in your field
- Providing new faculty and staff with an orientation of library resources and services
- Provide assistance with literature searching and citation management
- Participating in meetings and trainings - bringing you library related updates
To request a liaison for your team, please call us at 315-464-7091 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancer Resource Center/ROC
- Nursing (University & Community Hospitals)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Patient Education
- Social Work
Academic & Research Setting:
- Binghamton Clinical Campus / Clinical Faculty
- Center for Bioethics and Humanities / Consortium for Culture and Medicine
- Central New York Master of Public Health
- College of Graduate Studies
- College of Health Professions, Physical Therapy
- College of Medicine, Curriculum
- College of Nursing
- Rural Medical Education Program (RMED)
- History of Medicine
- President's Office
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine:
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation