ILL & Document Delivery
ILL & Document Delivery
Our ILL/Document Delivery Department will obtain materials (articles, books, videos, and more) from other libraries when our library doesn't own or license what you need. To submit a request or check on an existing request, please log in to the ILLiad system.
Health Sciences Library ILL/Document Delivery Policies and Procedures
- You must be an Upstate affiliate (student, faculty, staff or resident) to use this service.
- Emeritus faculty must complete an account request form . The Health Sciences Library will pay copyright fees of up to $200.00 per calendar year to obtain unlicensed articles via Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) for an emeritus faculty member.
- Visiting researchers, visiting students and non-matriculated students are not eligible.
- Upstate affiliates with Novell accounts will use this account to log into ILLiad. Voluntary faculty may contact the Document Delivery Department at 464-5116 and email@example.com to request an account.
- The Health Sciences Library will not fill requests for the following items:
- E-journal articles that we own or that you may obtain from from the New York State Library (NYSL)
- Required texts
- Books on closed reserve
- More than 5 books at a time with certain exceptions- call 315-464-5116 and ask to speak with an ILL staff person
- Duplicate articles
- More than 50% of a journal issue
- Articles remain in ILLiad for 60 days and must be saved outside of ILLiad in order to retain a copy of the article.
- Books and media that are not delivered* will be placed at the Library Services Desk for pickup.
- The borrower is responsible for returning items to the Library Services Desk by the due date indicated.
- The borrower will be billed for the replacement cost if an item is lost or damaged.
- Books borrowed from other libraries that are not picked up are subject to a $20 processing fee.
The Health Sciences Library will deliver materials via intercampus mail to Upstate Faculty and Staff.
- To sign up for this service, choose delivery when you reply to the email that presents you with the option of pickup or delivery.
- Items will be sent (and may be returned) in a pink bag.
- Oversized, rare and expensive items are not eligible for delivery.
- Books Not Picked Up: You will be sent a maximum of 3 e-mails notifying you that your book is available for pick up at the Library. If the book is not picked up within 5 days and we do not receive a response to our messages, your book will be returned to the lending library and you will be charged a $20 processing fee.
- Overdue Books: You will be sent a maximum of 3 overdue notices via e-mail. If you fail to return the book or to contact the Interlibrary Loan Department to make other arrangements, your book will be considered overdue and you will be charged a $20 processing/overdue fee.
- Lost or Damaged Books: Customers are financially responsible for the full cost of replacement, including a processing fee, for any item that is lost or excessively damaged.
- Renewals: A book renewal may be requested by phone (464-5116), by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or by logging into your ILLiad account and selecting the renewal option. Renewals should be requested before the due date. We cannot guarantee a renewal for every book, but we will do our best.
- ILL Book Loan Periods: Loan periods vary depending on institution. ILL Books are not available for loan for an entire semester. Refer to renewal process if you need to attempt to extend the loan period, however we cannot guarantee renewals.
Patrons using intercampus mail for books and media
- Mailing Exceptions: Some materials are unsuitable for delivery via campus mail (i.e., items that are over sized, rare, expensive or or have short loan periods). We will contact you to make other arrangements should this situation apply.
For more information about our document delivery or interlibrary loan services, please contact us as 315-464-5116 or email@example.com.