Persons Honored in the Painted Portraits on Display in the Health Sciences Library
Carlyle Ferdinand Jacobsen, Ph.D. (1902-1974). First President, 1957-1967.
Painted by Joseph Stanley Kozlowski (1912-1992) in 1967. Gift of alumni, faculty, and staff.
After receiving his doctorate in psychology from the University of Minnesota in 1928, Jacobsen studied anthropoid animals and taught at Yale University, Cornell University, Washington University in St. Louis, and the University of Iowa before joining the faculty of the new SUNY Upstate Medical Center in 1950. Until the office of President was created in September 1957, the Dean of the College of Medicine was the chief administrative officer of the campus. Jacobsen was simultaneously Dean from 1957 to 1965. Jacobsen Hall is named for him.
Lewis William Bluemle, Jr., M.D. (b. 1921). Second President, 1968-1974.
Painted by Gary B. Trento (b. 1941) in 1993.
A member of the Johns Hopkins medical class of 1946, Bluemle was a nephrologist at the University of Pennsylvania before coming to Upstate. After leaving Syracuse, he was President of the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center in Portland, Thomas Jefferson University, and the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. He holds patents on artificial kidneys and blood pumps.
Richard Penrose Schmidt, M.D. (1921-2008), Third President, 1975-1984.
Painted by Gary B. Trento (b. 1941) in 1993.
Schmidt was born in Akron, Ohio, and received his M.D. from the University of Louisville in 1945. Certified in neurology in 1956, he specialized in epilepsy research and treatment. His book, Epilepsy, co-written with B. Joe Wilder, appeared in 1968. At Upstate, he was Dean of the College of Medicine from 1970 to 1975 and Professor of Neurology from 1970 to 1984. Kent State University awarded him an honorary D.Sc. in 1984.
John Bernard Henry, M.D. (1928-2009), Fourth President, 1985-1992.
Painted by Brian O'Toole Makepeace (b. 1953) in 1992.
After receiving his M.D. in 1955 from the University of Rochester, Henry studied and taught pathology at Washington University in St. Louis, Columbia University, the National Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, and the University of Florida before coming to Upstate as Professor of Pathology in 1964. He served as Dean of the College of Health Related Professions from 1971 to 1977. He left Syracuse briefly to be Dean of the Georgetown University School of Medicine from 1979 to 1984. His research includes enzymology, hematology, and transplantation immunohematology. He is editor of the standard textbook, Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods.
Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D. (1821-1910).
Painted by Joseph Stanley Kozlowski (1912-1992) in 1963.
A source of pride for Upstate Medical University, then known as Geneva Medical College, is that it broke world tradition by being the first regular medical school to grant the M.D. degree to a woman. Elizabeth Blackwell was graduated first in her class on 23 January 1849. Blackwell's portrait was commissioned as a gift to Upstate Medical Center by Alpha Epsilon Iota, the medical student sorority. It has appeared on the cover of JAMA, 24 July 1972, and on a U.S commemorative postage stamp, 23 January 1974, the 125th anniversary of her medical graduation. The dedication ceremony in 1964 featured the President of AEI, third year medical student Patricia J. Numann, who in 1970 became the first woman surgeon at University Hospital.
Sarah Loguen Fraser, M.D. (1850-1933).
Painted by Susan Keeter (b. 1958) in 2000. Gift of the Medical Alumni Association and friends.
Sarah Loguen was the daughter of abolitionist Rev. Jermain Wesley Loguen of the A.M.E. Zion Church in Syracuse. She decided to become a physician in 1873 when she felt helpless seeing a small boy break his leg. Encouraged by Michael D. Benedict, M.D., recent president of the Onondaga County Medical Society, she received her M.D. from the Syracuse University College of Medicine in 1876. She was the fourth African-American woman physician in the nation, the second in New York, and the first to be graduated from a coeducational medical school. Loguen interned in Philadelphia and Boston, then began private practice in Washington, D.C. in 1879. Frederick Douglass nailed up her shingle. She married Charles Fraser, a friend of Douglass, in Syracuse in 1882, then moved with him to Santo Domingo [now the Dominican Republic], where she was that country's first woman physician. Widowed in 1894, she divided her time among Santo Domingo, France, Washington, and Syracuse, until settling in Washington in 1907. Flags in Santo Domingo flew at half mast for nine days in honor of her death in 1933.
Frederick B. Parker, Jr., M.D. (b. 1936).
Painted by Jerome Paul Witkin (b. 1939) in 2001.
A cardiac surgeon who received his M.D. from the University of Rochester in 1962, Parker joined the Department of Surgery in 1971 and became Chief of Cardiopulmonary Surgery in 1977. He served from 1990 until his retirement in 2001 as the fourth full-time chair of the department.
Eugene A. Kaplan, M.D. (b. 1933). Painted by Michael Vallone in 2001; unveiled March 21, 2002.
A member of the Upstate Class of 1957, Kaplan interned at Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, then did his psychiatric residency at Upstate, where he joined the faculty in 1961. As Chair of the Department of Psychiatry from 1986 to 1999, he was nationally recognized as a leader and innovator in psychiatric education. Kaplan is the son-in-law of neurosurgeon Arthur Ecker, whose portrait graces the wall opposite.
Robert Kemp Brewer, M.D. (1886-1945).
Painted by Gary B. Trento (b. 1941) from photographs in 2000. The hands were modeled from life by Brewer's son, David W. Brewer, M.D., Class of 1941.
In 1909 Dean John Lorenzo Heffron took a chance by hiring a 23-year-old chemist who had just received his master’s degree from the University of Wisconsin. This new instructor in chemistry, Brewer, earned his M.D. at Syracuse over the next four years, all the while teaching chemistry. He was promoted to Assistant Professor of Physiological Chemistry in 1914, Associate Professor in 1915, Professor in 1917, and Professor of Biochemistry in 1941. He essentially re-invented the department and brought it into the modern era of research and teaching.
David Henry Palmer Streeten, M.B.,
D.Phil., FRCP, FACP (1921-2000).
Painted by Nancy Muncy Rhodes (b. 1950) in 1999.
A native of Bloemfontein, South Africa, Streeten received his medical degree in 1946 at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, then, in 1951, his doctorate in pharmacology from Oxford University. As Associate Professor of Medicine from 1960 to 1964, Professor of Medicine from 1964 to 1994, and Chair of the Section of Endocrinology from 1960 to 1994, the main concern of his research was hypertension.
M. Janice Nelson, Ed.D., R.N. (b. 1928).
Painted by Warren R. Thomas (b. 1938) in 2000.
With a doctorate from Columbia University Teachers College, Nelson was the Director of Nursing in University Hospital from 1980 to 1986 and the first Dean of the College of Nursing from 1986 to 1996. Upstate Medical University has established a nursing education scholarship in her honor.
Thomas Stephen Szasz, M.D. (1920-2012).
Painted by Jerome Paul Witkin (b. 1939) in 1992.
Internationally famous psychiatrist, libertarian activist, and philosopher of medicine; Professor of Psychiatry at Upstate from 1956 to 1990; and author of such controversial books as The Myth of Mental Illness (1961). Born in Budapest, Hungary, Szasz immigrated to the United States in 1938 and received his A.B. with honors in physics in 1941 and his M.D. in 1944, both from the University of Cincinnati. He trained in medicine at Boston City and Cincinnati General Hospitals, in psychiatry at the University of Chicago, and in psychoanalysis at the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis. From 1954 to 1956 he served in the U.S. Naval Reserve. Szasz claims that mental "illness" does not exist because the medical criterion for illness is the physical lesion. Psychiatric "treatment," because it deals with unwanted behavior rather than "disease," is not "medical" treatment, but a personal service if voluntary and a method of social control if involuntary. Some people may be just plain "nutty" or even "mad," but that does not mean that they are diseased or that anything is wrong with them. What we call "mental illness" is really a contrivance of the medical community, government, and organized religion to control, oppress, and manipulate people. "Psychiatry," Szasz frequently reminds us, "does not deal with diseases, but with conflicts between people." Szasz has published hundreds of articles, letters, comments, interviews, debates, prefaces, and rejoinders, as well as twenty-five books, including Pain and Pleasure (1957), The Ethics of Psychoanalysis (1965), The Manufacture of Madness (1970), The Myth of Psychotherapy (1978), Insanity: The Idea and its Consequences (1987), Fatal Freedom (1999), and Pharmacracy: Medicine and Politics in America (2001).
Suzanne H. Murray, M.S.L.S. (1932-2005).
Painted in 1995 by Bettina B. Chapman, B.F.A., Syracuse University Class of 1933 (d. 1997, aged 85).
A member of the Le Moyne College class of 1954, Murray was Associate Director of the Health Sciences Library from 1973 to 1985 and Director from 1985 to 1995. Among her brainchildren is Upstate's four-story, 48,200 square-foot Library building that opened in December 1995, five months after her retirement.
Arthur David Ecker, M.D., Ph.D. (1913-2006).
Born in New York City, Ecker received his A.B. summa cum laude from Dartmouth in 1931, his M.D. from Johns Hopkins in 1934, and his Ph.D. in Neurology from the University of Minnesota in 1938. He served as a Fellow in Neurology and Neurosurgery at the Mayo Clinic from 1935 to 1939, then came to the Syracuse University College of Medicine, where he founded the Department of Neurosurgery in 1939. He practiced in Syracuse until his retirement in 1988. As a pioneer of neuroradiology, neurosurgery, and cerebral angiography, Ecker published two books and 119 articles. Among his works are the first demonstration of cerebral vasospasm and the first American monograph on cerebral angiography. He was the first to describe upward brain herniation into the foramen magnum and through the tentorial notch.
Austrian-British artist Herbert Gurschner (1901-1975) painted this portrait in July 1944 when Ecker was stationed in England as a U.S. Army neurosurgeon. Because of wartime shortages of materials in Britain, Gurschner used burlap instead of artist's canvas and either boat paint or linseed-oil-based house paint instead of artist's oil paint. The painting was restored and stabilized in 1996 by conservator Peter Schulz. The photo, taken at the unveiling on 18 June 1996, shows master of ceremonies William J. Williams, M.D.; Ecker's son-in-law Eugene A. Kaplan, M.D.; Ecker; and Ecker's wife Marcia.
Albert G. Swift, M.D. (1879-1959).
Painted by Joseph Stanley Kozlowski (1912-1992) in 1946.
Born in Syracuse to Irish immigrants, Swift was a member of the Syracuse University College of Medicine class of 1902. After four years of postgraduate surgical training at Mt. Sinai Hospital and six years of surgical practice in New York City, he began teaching surgery in Syracuse in 1912. He took over the clinical practice of Nathan R. Jacobson in 1913 and for the next few decades worked mostly at St. Joseph's Hospital. From 1933 until he retired in 1946, he was Professor of Surgery at S.U. and practiced at the Hospital of the Good Shepherd. Despite his sometimes surly disposition, unshakable prejudices, and explosive temper, he was a precise and painstaking surgeon, an excellent teacher, and a very popular gentleman with both colleagues and students.
Lloyd S. Rogers, M.D. (1914-2001).
Painted by Brian O'Toole Makepeace (b. 1953) in 2000.
After earning his M.D. at the University of Rochester in 1941, Rogers achieved the rank of major in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in World War II and was decorated with the Purple Heart. He served the Syracuse Veterans Administration Hospital as its first Chief of Surgery from 1953 to 1981. At Upstate he was Professor of Surgery from 1965 to 1985 and Interim Chair of Surgery from 1967 to 1970. In 2000 he generously created the endowment for the Lloyd S. Rogers Professorship of Surgery. The first to hold this endowed chair is Patricia J. Numann, M.D., Class of 1965, who in 1970 became Upstate University Hospital's first woman surgeon.
Gaylord Parsons Clark, M.D. (1856-1907).
Painted around 1900 by Ann B. Stodgell (fl. ca. 1900).
Born in Syracuse, Clark received his A.B. in 1877 from Williams College and his M.D. in 1880 from the Syracuse University College of Medicine, which he then served as Professor of Anatomy from 1881 to 1892, Professor of Physiology from 1892 to 1904, and Dean from 1905 until his sudden death. He published several papers on the physiology of the ear.
William Tomlinson Plant, M.D. (1836-1898).
Painted by Enella R. Benedick (b. 1858) in 1885.
Plant received his M.D. in 1861 from the University of Michigan, served as a surgeon in the U.S. Navy during the Civil War, and went into private practice after the war. He was Professor of Medical Jurisprudence at the Syracuse University College of Medicine from 1872 to 1879 and Professor of Pediatrics until he retired in 1895. He frequently contributed to Archives of Pediatrics and was a member of its editorial board. In 1879 he was President of the Onondaga County Medical Society.
Gordon D. Hoople, M.D. (1895-1973).
A member of the Syracuse University Class of 1915 and Syracuse University College of Medicine Class of 1919, Hoople taught otolaryngology at his alma mater from 1928 to 1953 and was President of the American Board of Otolaryngology, founder of the Hearing and Speech Center at Syracuse University, and Chair of the Syracuse University Board of Trustees. His interest in communication disorders is reflected in Syracuse University honoring him with the Gordon D. Hoople Special Education and Rehabilitation Building at the corner of South Crouse Avenue and Marshall Street. This building contains the Gebbie Clinic and the Gordon D. Hoople Hearing and Speech Center.
The portrait, a rug woven in Tabriz, Iran, consists of over half a million tied knots. It was presented to Upstate by Cyrus Amiri, M.D., who did his otolaryngology residency under Hoople.
Ellen Townley Cook ("Cookie") Jacobsen, M.D. (b. 1919).
Painted by Gary B. Trento.
An alumna of the Class of 1950, Jacobsen, née Cook (she married Upstate President Carlyle F. Jacobsen in 1957), began her residency in internal medicine in 1951 and rose to become Professor of Internal Medicine. After that, she did a second residency at Upstate, this time in psychiatry, and eventually became Professor of Psychiatry. She retired in 1990.
Margaret Lyman Williams, M.D. (1923-1985).
Painted by Gary B. Trento.
Williams was Upstate's first neonatologist. She received her M.D. at the University of Pennsylvania in 1949 then served at several hospitals in Philadelphia, most notably from 1961 to 1969 as Director of Newborn Services at Philadelphia General Hospital. In 1969 she organized Upstate's program to provide neonatological and developmental care and in 1970 began working also at Crouse Irving Memorial Hopsital, where she soon became Chief of Neonatology and Co-Director of the Perinatal Center. The Margaret L. Williams Developmental Evaluation Center at 215 Bassett Street is named for her.
Richard Hugh Lyons, M.D. (1910-1986).
Painted by Gary B. Trento.
After graduating in medicine from the University of Michigan in 1935, Lyons did his internship and residency at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston then held a fellowship in internal medicine at Harvard. In 1947 he became the first full-time Professor of Internal Medicine in Syracuse. He resigned the Chair of the Department of Medicine in 1967 to become the first Director of the Central New York Regional Medical Program (CNYRMP), an initiative of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. The CNYRMP lasted until 1976 when many of its functions were taken over by the state-sponsored Central New York Health Systems Agency (CNYHSA).
Stephen Smith, M.D. (1823-1922).
Painted by an unknown artist of the late 19th century.
Briefly a fellow student of Elizabeth Blackwell at Geneva Medical College, Smith received his M.D. in 1850 from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in the City of New York (i.e., Columbia University) after having attended the new University of Buffalo Department of Medicine for a year in between. He distinguished himself as a surgeon at Bellevue Hospital, a reformer, a champion of sanitation, an instigator of major public health reform in New York City, a medical historian, and the founder and first president of the American Public Health Association. Early in the 20th century he donated about 1100 volumes to the Library.
Current Periodicals Room:
James Benson Preston, M.D. (1926-2004).
Painted by Gary B. Trento (b. 1941) in 1997.
Preston received his M.D. from the University of Cincinnati in 1952, taught pharmacology at the University of Illinois, then came to Upstate in 1954 as Instructor in Physiology. He was promoted in 1956 to Assistant Professor and in 1960 to Professor and Chair of Physiology, posts which he held until his retirement in 1991.
Donald Charles Goodman, Ph.D. (1927-2003).
Painted by Warren R. Thomas (b. 1938) in 1995.
After receiving his doctorate from the University of Illinois in 1954, Goodman taught anatomy at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Florida before coming to Upstate in 1968 as Professor and Chair of Anatomy. He was Dean of the College of Graduate Studies from 1973 to 1982, Vice President for Academic Affairs from 1976 to 1985, Vice President for Research from 1978 to 1982, Dean of the College of Health Related Professions from 1983 to 1995, Provost from 1985 to 1995, and Interim President from 1992 to 1993.
A. Geno Andreatta, M.S. (b. 1932).
Painted by Warren R. Thomas (b. 1938) in 1997.
After holding several high administrative posts in the Admissions Department from 1963 to 1971, Andreatta was Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs from 1971 to 1995.
Edward Conrad Reifenstein, Sr., M.D. (1880-1970).
Painted by Joseph Stanley Kozlowski (1912-1992) in 1946. Gift of the Class of 1947.
The first of a large family of Syracuse physicians, all Syracuse University College of Medicine alumni, Reifenstein was a member of the Class of 1904. He practiced internal medicine, specializing in cardiology, until 1968. In 1932 he founded the first cardiac clinic in Syracuse, and ran it until 1946. At the Syracuse University College of Medicine, he taught both histology and medicine, and was Professor of Medicine from 1932 to 1946.
Other physicians in the family include:
- His brother, Benedict William Reifenstein, M.D., Class of 1922.
- His son, Edward C. Reifenstein, Jr., M.D., Class of 1934, wrote a classic textbook with Fuller Albright, The Parathyroid Glands and Metabolic Bone Disease (1948) and became vice-president of E.R. Squibb and Sons.
- Another son, George Henry Reifenstein, M.D. (1911-1999), Class of 1936, served as a naval pathologist, retired as a rear admiral, and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
- A third son, Robert W. Reifenstein, M.D. (1921-2004), Class of 1945, practiced internal medicine in the State Tower Building.
Dan Arnold Richert, Ph.D. (1915-1971).
Painted by Joseph Stanley Kozlowski (1912-1992) in 1973. Gift of the Classes of 1972 through 1975.
Richert took his Ph.D. in biological chemistry from St. Louis University in 1944, then spent a year at Harvard University before joining the biochemistry faculty of the Syracuse University College of Medicine. He served as Professor of Biochemistry from 1945 until his unexpected death on October 4, 1971.
Henry Wilson Stiles, M.D. (1875-1944).
Painted in watercolors by an unknown artist in 1927. Gift of Mrs. E.D. Parker in 1997.
Born in Savannah, Missouri, Stiles attended the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons for two years, but received his M.D. in 1901 from the Ensworth Central Medical College in St. Joseph, Missouri. He practiced in St. Joseph until 1905 and pursued further studies at Stanford University, in Germany, at the University of Missouri, and in England from 1903 to 1906. He taught anatomy at Ensworth until 1903, at the University of Michigan from 1906 to 1909, at Tulane University from 1909 to 1910, then at the Syracuse University College of Medicine thereafter.
According to Kenneth W. Wright, M.D., Class of 1938: "Henry Stiles, who taught anatomy, was known as the Beau Brummel of the faculty, a swank dresser at the time when professional men's attire was conservative. He was renowned for quoting poetry and scripture. His custom was to walk between isles of cadavers, cigarette held jauntily in an ivory holder, stopping now and then to observe some student's dissection, or spring some question about the anatomical part."
Leave Us Feedback!