In 1887 a group of civic-minded women established Syracuse Women's Hospital and Training School for Nurses, as it was first called, to serve women and children.
Although there were two other hospitals in the city at that time, St. Joseph's and Good Shepherd, they did not focus on maternity or pediatric cases. For the first
several decades the hospital's administration was all female.
The building pictured above, built in 1896 at 1214 West Genesee Street, is where Frances (Frank) A. Adams worked as an obstetrician from 1898-1900. Ely Van de
Warker, Frank's brother-in-law, was a surgeon there from the hospital's beginning in 1887.