Upstate Logo Upstate Health Sciences Library

Rediscovering the Class of 1885


Exhibit home Lucius A. Smith J. Howard Ferguson Frank W. Marlow Registration Book, 1884-85 College of Med. skeleton cartoon Dr. Mercer's Study, painting by Maureen Barcza
Exhibit Home A Discovery A Mystery Missing Persons New Intrigue Student Life The Faculty

The Hospital of the Good Shepherd


Bishop Frederic Dan Huntington
Bishop Frederic Dan Huntington
1819-1904

The Hospital of the Good Shepherd was the locus of clinical instruction for students in the College of Medicine in Syracuse, along with St. Joseph's Hospital.

Founded as the House of the Good Shepherd in 1872 by Bishop Frederic Dan Huntington of the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York, it was first located on East Fayette Street, then Hawley Street.

Mary Burnham was House Mother at Good Shepherd in the 1870s and 80s. The Rules for the regulation of the internal affairs of the House were written by her.

Mary Burnham
Mary Burnham ca. 1885
House Mother at Good Shepherd

 

Good Shepherd built a 3-story wooden structure on Marshall Street in 1875, as pictured on the cover of the Hospital's Annual Report of 1880.

Annual Report of the Hospital of the Good Shepherd

The first addition to Good Shepherd -- a brick structure -- was built in 1887 attached to the original wooden structure, as seen in the picture below, at left. Another view of the brick structure is shown below, center. Another major addition was completed in 1902. The original wooden structure no longer exists, but the brick building still stands on Marshall Street between University and Crouse Avenues. Known as Huntington Hall, named for the hospital's founder, it is now home to the Syracuse University School of Education. Good Shepherd closed in 1965 with the opening of University Hospital on Adams Street, below right.

Hospital of the Good Shepherd, ca. 1875-1887
Good Shepherd
ca. 1875-1887
Hospital of the Good Shepherd, 1889 or later
Good Shepherd
1889 or after
University Hospital
University Hospital
ca. 1965

 


Return to: Student Life, Including Frank's Story
Register of the College of Medicine, 1884/85