Upstate Logo Upstate Health Sciences Library

Rediscovering the Class of 1885


The Carriage Factory Building (1875-1896)

Carriage Factory Building
The Syracuse University College of Medicine was very much on its own in the early years in Syracuse, and did not receive much financial support from the University. The carriage factory property, which included the structure pictured above, a blacksmith shop, and a barn, was purchased with funds contributed or raised by the medical faculty. When the remodeling was complete, there were lecture rooms, a museum, a library, a dispensary, and anatomy and histology laboratories. The blacksmith shop housed the chemical laboratory.

Return to: A Mystery
J. Howard Ferguson

Exhibit home
Lucius A. Smith
J. Howard Ferguson
Frank W. Marlow
Registration Book, 1884-85
College of Med. skeleton cartoon
Dr. Mercer's Study, painting by Maureen Barcza